Fuerza de San Pedro or most commonly called Cebu Fort San Pedro, is a military defense structure that was built during the early times of the Spanish era. It is built by the Spanish under the command of Miguel López de Legazpi, first governor of the Captaincy General of the Philippines.
Fort San Pedro is located at Plaza Independencia, in the Pier Area of Cebu City. Part of the fort is a museum where the Spanish documents, artifacts, sculptures, paintings, swords and other weaponry are being displayed.
The Minore Basilica of the Holy Child and commonly known as the Santo Niño Basilica, that was founded in the 1565. The oldest Roman Catholic church in the country, it is built on the spot where the image of the Santo Niño de Cebú was found during the expedition of Miguel López de Legazpi.The church has always been the Sanctuary of the Sto. Niño, under the custody of the Augustinians. One of the biggest and grandest festival in the Philippines that we celebrate every 3rd week of January.
Ferdinand Magellan was the first European to come to the Philippines in 1521. Also known as Fernando Magallanes.
Magellan planted a cross to signify this important event about the propagation of the Roman Catholic faith in what is now Cebu, in central Philippines. Some say, however, that the original cross was actually destroyed. The Magellan cross displayed here is said to be a replica of such cross. It is housed in a small chapel located in front of the present city hall of Cebu, along Magallanes Street (named in honor of Magellan).
This terrific museum comprises several galleries in an sturdy old coral-stone building that was Cebu’s provincial jail from 1870 to 2004. Most interesting are the Spanish-era and American-era galleries. The latter contains an interesting collection of letters and memorabilia from Thomas Sharpe, one of 1065 teachers known as Thomasites who arrived in the early days of the American period to fulfill President McKinley’s pledge to ‘educate the Filipinos’.
Locally known as “butanding”. The whale shark (Rhincodon typus) is the largest fish in the world, with its vast size it resembles the whales from which its common name is derived. The head is flattened and the wide mouth, positioned at the tip of the snout, stretches almost as wide as the body. The dorsal fin is particularly large and the tail has a half-moon shape. The patterning of the body is very distinctive with its dark greyish-blue color on the back and sides, and array of pale yellow blotches, the under surface is pale. Stout ridges travel the length of the body, ending at the tail shaft. Five massive gill slits occur on the side of the head and within these there is a sieve like structure of cartilage.